Mad for Science
A programme that encourages science and tech vocations linked to the world of research, aimed at secondary school students through theory and practical sessions given by researchers from leading research centres across Catalonia. We want to live in a world where all young people have the opportunity to develop their abilities to the maximum.
- 1st year baccalaureate students who chose the science and/or technology option during the 2022-2023 academic year.
- In the case of the Earth Sciences course, 1st year baccalaureate students can take part regardless of which type of baccalaureate they have chosen.
- For the economics course, 1st and 2nd year baccalaureate students can take part regardless of which type of baccalaureate they have chosen.
- Students must be enrolled in a secondary school in Catalonia, whether public, private or semi-private.
- Students must have a good academic record, which must be accompanied by an enthusiasm, interest and curiosity for science, especially in the field of research for the chosen course.
- Good level of written and spoken English. In some of the Mad for science courses, some of the sessions will be in English.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Enthusiasm to take part and commitment to taking advantage of the opportunities offered by the programme.
- Not to be enrolled on another Mad for science course during the same period, nor to have been a participant on the Youth and Science or Nature Campus programmes.
- The entire registration process is online, through the programme's website. The programme will not accept documents sent by post or via email.
- In the permission form for the parent or legal guardian, each student can select up to a maximum of 3 Mad for science courses, in order of preference, that they want to be considered for during the selection process. For example: 1st choice) Earth Sciences, 2nd choice) Supercomputing, and 3rd choice) Bioengineering. It is not mandatory to fill in all three course options, for example, if a student is only interested in the Economics course, then he or she can apply for Economics only.
- Each education centre will be able to put forward a maximum of 3 students in the first option for each Mad for science course. For example, an education centre may have 3 (different) students enrolled in the first option in each of the 13 courses on the programme; a total of 39 students enrolled. This means that each course will receive a maximum of 3 candidates in the first option, per school, and as many second and third option candidates as students have included on their preferences (there is no limit).
- If more than 3 applications are received from a school (first option) for the same Mad for science course, all the candidates for the school for that course will be automatically deleted.
- Please note! If your school has 4 or 5 baccalaureate lines, you can present up to 4 students in first option for each Mad for science course, and if your school has 6 or more baccalaureate lines, you can present up to 5 students in first option.
- In order to be considered as a candidate, the following is essential:
- Online submission of the permission form with the details of the student's legal parent or guardian.
- Online submission of the registration form to be filled out by the candidate.
- Online confidential recommendation from the student's teacher for science, mathematics, technology, computer science and economics.
- Online confidential recommendation from the student's tutor, head of studies or school headteacher.
Nominations that do not provide all the online documentation requested will be excluded from the selection process.
Submitting the application form does not guarantee direct admission to the Mad for science programme. All applications submitted will be part of the selection process.
All of the applications will be assessed individually. In order to make the selection, the panel will assess the information and documentation provided by each candidate, which includes:
- Student responses to the questions on the registration form, which includes the letter of motivation.
- Confidential recommendations from the school: from a teacher in the area of science, mathematics, technology, computer science or economics; and that of the tutor, head of studies or headteacher.
- Academic record.
- Fluency in Catalan and Spanish, and a good level of English.
- Motivation and enthusiasm to take part in scientific research experiences.
Attention! In the case of the Mathematics course, the pre-selection will also be done through an online written test that will take place on Saturday 29th October from 9.00h to 10.00h.
Candidates who pass the first selection stage will be shortlisted and will proceed to the personal interview phase, which will take place until 26th November 2022. The final selection will be announced from 28th November 2022.
The total number of students chosen from all the applications is specific to each course on the Mad for science programme.
All communication will be via email.
The decision of the selection panel is final.
Once chosen for the programme, each student will pay the following registration fee to confirm their place:
- 225 euros, to take part in the Economics course on the Mad for science programme.
- 425 euros, to take part in the following Mad for science courses: Biomedicine, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Physics, Supercomputing, Mathematics, New Technologies, Earth Sciences, Nutrition and Artificial Intelligence.
- 90 euros, to take part in the Energy course on the Mad for science programme. This course is organizeb with the support of the Catalan Institute of Energy (ICAEN).
Payment must be made before December 20th, 2023, once the selection of candidates has been completed. Candidates who do not make the payment within the established period will be excluded from the program.
Economic aid program
The Bojos per la Ciència program bases the evaluation and selection process on the qualities of the candidates. The Fundació Catalunya La Pedrera is committed to giving opportunities to young people, and for this reason, the granting of aid to candidates who document that they cannot afford the registration fee will be studied.
To request aid, contact us at email@example.com once your candidacy has been selected, and before December 8, 2023.
Once the aid has been resolved, payment of the remaining part must be made before December 20, 2023.